The Development History of the Bank Vault Door!
Updated: Jun 28, 2021
Bank vault door is ambiguous to the ordinary people.Why?Because it often appears in the movies and it is not well-konwn by the public. let's find out the history of the bank vault door.
The main function of the bank vault door is to keep the safety of valuables. With the rapid growth of social wealth brought about by economic development in the past few decades, vault doors have gradually appeared in more and more places, and the market scale has become larger and larger. According to the data analysis of the 2020-2025 global bank vault door market survey report released by authoritative research institutions: the global vault door market has continued to grow in recent years. In 2019, the global bank vault door market reached 20 billion yuan, and it will continue to be 5 years per year for the next 5 years. %-10% growth rate.
The main market of bank vault door for sale is in North America, followed by Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Europe. In 2019, China's vault door market is about 300 million yuan, ranking behind the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Australia. The top few countries are all in poor public security, or there are more catastrophic climates such as tornadoes. Individual users install and use vault doors in their homes to protect property and personal safety. While the public security of China is in good condition. Only certain institutions and government departments such as banks, military, museums, etc. use vault doors. Therfore,the China market for individual users has a huge potentiality, and needs further development.
Before the advent of bank vault doors, people usually used safes to store valuables. However, safes have inherent shortcomings, such as small capacity, lightweight, and low-security performance, which cannot meet people's storage needs for large capacity and high-security performance! The vault door developed from the anti-theft door solves these series of problems very well.
The most primitive vault door has a relatively simple structure, usually using a thicker steel plate and multiple door bolts as the main body of protection. At the beginning of the 20th century, this protective performance was sufficient, but with the advent of high-performance explosives and oxygen-acetylene cutting torches, the protective performance of such a vault door was obviously insufficient! The first is explosives. People use tools to pry the cracks in the door, open a gap, insert explosives and detonate, and then explode the vault door, or use a large number of explosives to force the door open. The second is the oxygen-acetylene cutting torch, which exceeds 3300 degrees. At high temperatures, you can quickly cut the steel plate of the vault door! With the emergence of these new materials and new tools, bank vault door
manufacturers have to upgrade their products, improve the structure and materials of the vault door in several aspects, and strengthen the protective performance of the bank vault door:
(1) At the position where the door frame and the door leaf are combined, a stepped groove is made to close, so that the tool cannot be directly inserted into the door gap and prevent the gap from being pried;
(2) In the protective layer, add high-strength concrete and cast iron, and other high-temperature materials to prevent it from being easily cut by the oxygen-acetylene cutting torch;
(3) Multiple solid reinforced door bolts are equipped around the door leaf to resist strong damage caused by explosives or other large equipment;
(4) Design a combination lock structure, install 2-3 locks on the door leaf, and separate different locks for management. When opening the door, 2-3 managers must be present at the same time to open the vault door. At the same time, install a time lock on the inside of the door to ensure that the vault door can only be opened within a certain period of time, effectively preventing criminals from coercing managers to open the vault door for robbery;
(5) Design a heavy lock structure and install it on weak parts such as vault door locks. When criminals destroy the weakness of the vault door, the relocking structure will automatically activate and lock the vault door from the inside, so that even if the criminals break through the weak point, they cannot open the round bank vault door.
Through continuous updating of the structure and materials, the protective performance of the vault door is getting better and better, and it can even withstand the shock wave of the atomic bomb without being damaged. The most typical case is in the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, Japan. The storage is intact, and the vault door has withstood the shock wave of the explosion. This is a classic case of the protective performance of the round bank vault door.
However, as the protective performance of the vault door is getting higher and higher, the complexity and weight of the vault door have also risen linearly. There are even more than 20 door bolts and a round vault door weighing more than 50 tons. In the early twentieth century, such a door was very popular because it was an iconic product of bank vault security. However, due to the complexity of the structure, maintenance issues (such as drooping due to the weight of the door), and their high cost, they gradually withdrew from the market. At present, the mainstream of the market is to use the strongest materials, safer structures, and locks, so that the door's protective performance is lighter. The advantage of this is that it is more convenient to install and transport, and secondly, the cost is reduced, so that users can build treasury in more places, and it is more convenient to manage and keep valuables.
As the application range of round bank vault doors continues to expand, gradually expanding from a single vault to other fields such as the army, museums, and government departments, and the product form is more diversified, and the test standards for bank vault doors have also emerged. At present, the mainstream international standards are: "U.S. UL standard" and "European EN standard". They all carry out detailed requirements and classification of vault door definitions, test methods, test time, test tools, etc. Different protection levels are divided according to the anti-damage time of the round bank vault door, so as to provide people with a reference when buying a vault door.